Monday 18 April 2011

Benchmark for Business: Dan Heath on Driving Sustainable Change (Switch)

 

  The other speaker at this Benchmark for Business event I’ll be attending next month  is Dan Heath, co-author with his brother Chip of Switch, and Made to Stick.

I’m particularly looking forward to this session as I still spend a lot of my time on change management, and I also think that despite us focusing on this area for over 20 years (I was one of the first people to do so, being in the initial group of 30 people forming Andersen Consulting’s Change Management group at the end of the 1980s) that change management is still very much an emerging art.

For example, I don’t accept John Kotter’s argument that 15 years after his book, Leading Change, that all we need to do is to implement his 8 stage model that much better.  To me, the fact that over 50% of changes still fail is a sign that something else is missing.

Could the remaining need be influencing employees to make a Switch in their behaviour?

 

Driving Sustainable Change

Dan Heath is a Senior Fellow at Duke University's CASE Centre. He is a columnist for Fast Company magazine, and he has taught and consulted with organisations such as Microsoft, Philips, Vanguard, Macy's, USAID, and the American Heart Association.

Previously, Dan worked as a researcher and case writer for Harvard Business School and as a Consultant to the Policy Programs of the Aspen Institute.

In London, Dan will ask the following question: Why is it so hard to make lasting changes in our companies, in our communities, and in our own lives? Illustrated by counter-intuitive psychological and sociological research, he will outline how effective leaders can drive change by influencing employees to make a Switch in their behaviours.

Dan will present the Switch Framework - a clear and simple model for creating sustainable change in your organisation.

 

I’ll be live blogging my thoughts on Switch and the remaining needs in change management live from the event.

Let me know if you’re going to be there as it would be good to discuss your insights on this too (registration is here).

 

 

 

  • Consulting - Research - Speaking  - Training -  Writing
  • Strategy  -  Talent  -  Engagement  -  Change and OD
  • Contact  me to  create more  value for  your business
  • jon  [dot] ingham [at] strategic [dash] hcm [dot] com

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comment here (email me your comments if you have trouble and I will put them up for you)